“Drinking bravely” is an approach to enjoying wine that I embrace. The expression has been coined by wine expert, tv personality and author Mark Oldman who appeared here at The Bernards Inn recently for a Food and Wine Magazine event. Mark and I share a passion for educating wine lovers without pretense. We encourage people to try new wines and expand their palates. This is what the special evening was all about--and it was fabulous!
Mark narrated through six wines from our wine list and was full of praise for our selections. Mark’s passion for wine was infectious, and as an experienced wine educator, he immediately captured our guests’ attention while encouraging interaction between everyone in the room. The wines that were presented from our wine list for the evening included:
• Zardetto Prosecco Brut NV (sparkling wine from Italy) *Great alternative to Champagne without the sticker price of Champagne
• Don David Torrontes Reserve, Michel Torino Estate, Cafayate Valley Argentina 2010 *The next hot white wine from Argentina
• Château Rouet Rosé Reserve, Côtes de Provence 2010 * Wine to drink for those in the know. Very popular in the Hamptons and, yes, men drink Rose
• Nobilo Icon Pinot Noir, Marlborough New Zealand 2009 * Super value Pinot Noir from upcoming New Zealand known for Sauvignon Blanc
• Château Cap de Faugeres Red Bordeaux, Côtes de Castillon 2006 *Red Bordeaux that drinks like a king.
• Ramey Cellars Cabernet, Napa Valley 2006 *Made by my friend David Ramey, beautiful California Cabernet.
Mark talked about discovering little known wines that deliver so much without a high price, such as the Ajello Grillo from Sicily that we are featuring as our white by the glass pour.
It was a pleasure meeting Mark, and I would encourage you to pick up his latest book, Oldman's Brave New World of Wine: Pleasure, Value, and Adventure Beyond Wine's Usual Suspects. Mark is the real deal! And if you are a dog lover, Mark has a fun and informative video that relates wine to “Best in Show.” Maybe you will find your favorite breed has the personality of a great Cabernet! Check it out: http://www.markoldman.com/videos/drinkbravely36